The word “Haughty” is used to describe people who are arrogant, full of pride, and have no respect for the opinions of others. A Haughty person has a lot of attitudes and looks down on others.
Haughty – Meaning
- Speaking in a disrespectful, cocky way with no regard for other’s feelings is Haughty behavior.
- Having a presumptuous, careless attitude towards others and others’ situations is haughty in nature.
Degrees of Comparison
- Haughty – Haughtier- Haughtiest
Other forms of Haughty
- Haughtily – Adverb
- Haughtiness – Noun
- On a high horse
Usage of Haughty in Sentences
- John’s haughty behavior made all his friends abandon him.
- Never be haughty while talking to your subordinates.
- The commissioner of police is a haughty personality and always treats his colleagues with disrespect.
- The leader of that tribe is a haughty and coercive person.
- His haughty and reckless behavior made him lose all the opportunities he received.
- Her parents are not nearly so haughty as I had imagined them to be.
- The Imperialists always looked down haughtily on the natives with scorn and racism.
- Never be haughty to the humble or humble to the haughty. – Jefferson Davis
- Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.
- Rosie’s haughty impatience led to her downfall as an administrator.
- She said haughtily, “I will do whatever I wish”.
- The manager’s haughty and condescending remarks on the employee made him resign.
- The king negotiated with the enemy in a haughty way without any compromise.
- His character in the film is that of a haughty young man with no care about his career.
- She rejected their offer with a haughty attitude.
Follow us on Facebook to get a daily dose of Vocabulary.